Spruce Grove Ringette Association Evaluation Process: 2017-2018 Season


 

Evaluation Schedule CLICK HERE

 


Introduction

Welcome to the 2017-18 ringette season. SGRA has compiled this information to outline the general principles and procedures behind this year’s evaluation process. The primary goal is to fairly and consistently evaluate athletes to place each player on teams with athletes of similar ability.  Throughout this document, there will be procedures outlined which are unique to the specific age division or level of play.  SGRA evaluations are conducted in accordance with the SGRA Team Formation Policy.

At the beginning of the ringette season, athletes from all divisions will have the opportunity to attend up to 3 evaluation ice times, depending on the division. This process will provide an impartial assessment of each athlete’s overall ringette skill level and determine their appropriate playing level within their division. This process will also assist SGRA in forming competitively balanced teams in those divisions that have more than one team at a given level. 

It is important that athletes attend all their designated ice times, as absences from evaluation skates may have a significant impact on final placement. Exceptions, such as illness or injury, may be taken into consideration. In this case, a written explanation from the athlete or parent/guardian will be required and must be submitted to the Director of Player Development and Assessment and appropriate Division Director as soon as possible. It is understood that certain unavoidable factors may contribute to an athlete being unable to attend an ice time, and for these situations, the Oversight Committee will conduct a review and decide as to the appropriate team placement. 

Roles and Responsibilities

The following volunteer Board members participate in the evaluation process.

  • Division Directors - Responsible for organizing player skate groups and facilitating evaluations. Directors are also responsible for all communication with players and parents.
  • Director of Coaching Development and Assessment - Responsible for selecting and placing head coaches.
  • Director of Player Development and Assessment - Responsible for coordinating the evaluation process, liaising with all Division Directors, and communicating with evaluators. Works with the entire evaluation team to establish age appropriate standards.
  • Director of Ice Acquisition and Allocation - Works with Director of Player Development and Assessment to establish ice schedule for evaluations.
  • President and/or Vice President & Director of Operations - Responsible for supporting Directors and providing guidance and direction as needed. 

Oversight Committee

To maintain the integrity of evaluation policies, processes and decision making, SGRA uses an Oversight Committee. The objective of the Oversight Committee is to provide final review and subsequent approval of recommendations prior to implementation of these decisions. The Oversight Committee is the final authority.  Should a recommendation be rejected by the Oversight Committee, it falls to them to implement a solution. 

Members of the Oversight Committee may include, but is not limited, to:

  • Director of Player Development and Assessment
  • Appropriate Division Director
  • Director of Coaching Development and Assessment
  • Vice President and/or President
  • Additional Directors or Board Members, where applicable 

SGRA Evaluation Sessions

Evaluations start the first week of September, with the intent of forming teams as early as possible while still maintaining a fair and open process. Athletes will get an opportunity for one or more non-evaluative/conditioning skates prior to evaluations.  

Evaluators

SGRA contracts independent evaluators at each age level. The evaluators are highly qualified ringette players with AA and national experience. Evaluators will be directed by the Director of Player Development and Assessment. 

Evaluators will: 

  • be assigned to an age group to maintain consistency and fairness, where possible;
  • be assigned to evaluate all players playing a single position, where applicable (e.g. defense in U16/U19);
  • work with the Director of Player Development and Assessment for each session;
  • give a rating in every category for any athlete assigned to them as well as a tiering number (overall rating compared to the group); and
  • give these results to the Division Director and Director, Player Development and Assessment for compilation of results. 

PLAYER EVALUATION PROCESS

Universal Athlete Assessment (UAA)

Developed by Ringette Alberta, these are repeatable, timed skill measurements which do not require Evaluators.  All U10, U12, and U14 athletes will be required to attend a UAA ice session.  http://www.ringettealberta.com/universal-athlete-assessment/

For U10, four timed drills will be used.  These timed drills are forward skating, backward skating, start and stop test, and ring agility weave.  For U12 and U14, there are five drills, the ones mentioned previously plus the Butterfly.  Each skill session is designed to test a skating or ring handling skill specific to Ringette in an objective fashion.  Each player will be invited to a first practice UAA skate, prior to the assessment, to familiarize themselves with the process and environment.  Each drill will be explained (and demonstrated, if needed) to the group before proceeding.  *The shooting and passing drills have been eliminated as per Ringette Alberta Alberta 2015 AGM.

For U10, U12 and U14 A and B, results of the UAA will be used to determine groupings for the first evaluation game play session. Groupings for subsequent game play sessions will be determined by a combination of UAA results and evaluation results from prior game play sessions.

U10 Division

The U10 division is divided into steps. They are:

  • Active Start
  • Step 1
  • Step 2
  • Step 3

The U10 division is not a tiered division. The “steps” within the U10 division have been created so that athletes of varying skill, experience and readiness can be successful. It recognizes the importance of the athlete as a whole, not just an athlete’s chronological age or skill set. This holistic approach is optimal for long-term athlete development.

Four considerations when grouping players are:

  • Fine and gross motor skills - skating / ringette;
  • Intellectual maturity;
  • Social-emotional readiness; and
  • Chronological age.

A tiered program would only look at an athlete’s ringette skills. The Active Start / Step model recognizes that children do not develop on the same linear curve, nor do they develop on one curve in all four areas.

Every child is an individual and therefore will not necessarily progress from one step to the next in a linear fashion. One athlete may repeat a step and another may skip one.

Children who are seven years old and under and who have never played ringette before register in Active Start. For Active Start, there is no formal evaluation process. You will be contacted by your Division Coordinator with the first on-ice session. 

For U10 Steps 1 through 3, evaluation process has two components:

  • The Universal Athlete Assessment (UAA) as described above
  • A series of game play situations. Each player receives multiple opportunities to demonstrate their skills in homogeneous groups.

Following the completion of evaluations, coaches will select teams by a draft process within the step.  Step 3 teams are selected first, followed by Step 2 teams, and then Step 1 teams. The selection process is monitored by the Oversight Committee to make sure protocols are followed and the best interests of the athletes and the association are considered.

 If you have any questions, please contact:

U12 to U19 Divisions

The U12-U19 divisions are tiered divisions. To determine player placement, a consistent evaluation process will be utilized to allow for an impartial assessment of a player’s total ringette skills. For the process to be effective, players must attend the evaluation ice times they are assigned.

Team Levels

  • U12 teams will be made up of a combination of A, B, and C levels.
  • U14 teams will be made up of a combination of AA, A, and B levels.
  • Minimum team level will be determined by relative team score for U10, U12 and U14 UAA team scores as per Ringette Alberta guidelines and Tiering Policy.
  • U16 teams will be made up of a combination of AA, A, and B levels.
  • U19 team(s) will be made up of a combination of A and B levels.

*Team roster sizes will be dependent on the number of players registered in each division. The actual number will be determined by the Oversight Committee and in accordance with SGRA Board and Ringette Alberta Guidelines.

**For players that wish to be evaluated as a part-time or full-time goalie, see the last section in this document.

***Due to the voluntary nature of AA, ice availability and AA season timing, game play evaluation skates may take place prior to UAA assessments for U14AA.  Once U14AA and U16AA teams are selected, those players not selected will then attend the rest of their divisions’ evaluation skates.  Evaluation scores will not be transferred from AA evaluations.

If you have any questions, please contact:

 

U12 and U14 Divisions

The evaluation process will be a combination of two components:

  • The Universal Athlete Assessment (UAA) as described above (five drills for U12 & U14)
  • A series of game play situations. Each player receives multiple opportunities to demonstrate their skills in homogeneous groups.

Players will have an opportunity for a First Skate (warm up and practice) before any assessments begin.

The UAA portion for the U12 and U14 of evaluations will be conducted by a UAA Assessment Team, made up of volunteers from the association. A parent volunteering with a child on the ice must remove themselves from the station where their child is evaluating at and switch with another volunteer on the ice at the time.

  • The Universal Athlete Assessment will take place at the ice time following the First Skate.
  • U12-ALL Athletes will complete the UAA as a skater-NO goalie equipment.
  • Each skill will be completed at least twice.
  • UAA Assessment Team will provide all services for the UAA recording. The Divisional Directors will input results and send to Ringette Alberta by the required date set by Ringette Alberta.
  • UAA scores will be used to group players in skill-like groups for scrimmage sessions.

Game Play

All subsequent ice times will be game play format. Game play will be a combination of 3 versus 3 (3v3) and 5 versus 5 (5v5). All players will have a cumulative evaluation score based on all evaluations to date (including UAA scores) to determine subsequent ice times and/or determine player draft position. At the end of the evaluation process, the athlete will be ranked based on all evaluation scores to generate the draft list.

Some of the key concepts and guidelines are:

  • Skill like players compete against each other.
  • Consistent evaluators for ice times within a division.
  • After each ice time, all players who participated in the ice time will have a cumulative score. The scores will then be used to group the players for the subsequent ice time or to determine placement in the draft.
  • Evaluation scores will be compiled and calculated by the Director of Player Development and Assessment and appropriate Division Director.

Game Play Process

  1. Each player will be assigned a pinnie color and number.
  2. Game play shall consist of 3v3, and 5v5. Shift length will be equal for all players.
  3. After one minute of play, at the sound of the buzzer or whistle the players will abandon the ring and leave the ice. The next line will rotate onto the ice. Players will be reorganized periodically throughout the scrimmage to prevent the same players from playing together on every shift.
  4. Fluid line changes on cue will be outlined to the players prior to the start of the game. (Note: Parent/Coach Volunteers on the bench are not permitted to instruct or coach any player through the process)
  5. Evaluators are scoring on three areas:
    • Ring Skills/Play = Ring Movement, Receiving, Passing, Shooting.
    • Skating, Effort and Competitiveness = Aggressiveness vs. Trepidation, Team Play, Attitude, Ability.
    • Game Sense = Zone Awareness (Defensive/Offensive), Creating Advantages, Player Support, Marking, Transition, Communication.
  6. A score will be recorded for each player on each of the three skill categories as well as evaluator comments. The score will be based on each player’s skill as compared to other players on the ice. Athletes will be grouped with athletes of similar skill level.

Player’s scores from the UAA skill session will be used to create initial groupings for scrimmages.

Mandatory Selections

As athletes move into more competitive levels and/or older divisions, athletes may move into “designated positions” e.g. center, defense, forward.  Coaches may select players for positions and team composition in AA and U16+ while remaining within guidelines below.

For U14AA, the top 60% of players will be protected and the AA coach will be allowed to select the remaining 40%. Once the AA team selections have been completed, the A coach will follow. The top 70% of players will be protected and the A coach will be allowed to select the remaining 30%. Once the A coach selections have been completed, the B coach will follow the same as mentioned above. The next 70% of the players will be protected and the B coach will be allowed to select the remaining 30%. For example, if the team consisted of 20 players, the top 14 players would be protected and the coach would select another 6 players.

These selections will be attended and approved by the Oversight Committee in accordance with the SGRA Policies and Guidelines. Team size will be determined by the association based on balancing the number of players among the levels in each division accordingly prior to coach selection.

DRAFT

  • The selected Head Coach and one Assistant Coach will attend the draft.
  • The head coach and assistant coach must select their child when they are the highest remaining skater being selected.
  • Players tied in the ranking for the last protected/mandatory spot will be included in the protected players and the number of coach’s picks is reduced accordingly.
  • The next 6 players beyond the last mandatory pick are eligible to be a coach’s pick.
  • Players tied in the ranking at #6 will be included in the pick zone
  • For two team drafts, coach pick zone doubles to 12
  • In the event of two or more teams in the same division and level, the team who selects first is based upon the cumulative score of the head coach and assistant coach’s child’s score. The team with the lowest cumulative score will select first and the highest cumulative score will select last.
  • Upon completion of the draft, the coaches will be asked to confirm they agree that the teams are equitable.
  • The Oversight committee will have final say on Team selection.
  • The coaches and Oversight Committee will sign off completing the draft process and Team selection.

If there are more than one team in the same division and same level, an additional ice time may be used as an inter-squad game to ensure that the two teams are drafted into balanced groups within the division level. 

 

U16 and U19 Divisions

The evaluation process will be game play situations. Game play will be a combination of 3v3 and 5v5. The main concept of the process is to accumulate evaluation scores for each player with each ice time. Where applicable, players will be moved upward, downward, laterally based on their evaluation scores to achieve their final score, as cumulative score will give them a final score for the drafting of the teams.

Some of the key concepts and guidelines are:

  • Skill like players compete against each other.
  • Consistent evaluators for ice times within a division.
  • After each ice time, all players who participated in the ice time will have a cumulative score. The scores will then be used to group the players for the subsequent ice time or to determine placement in the draft.
  • Evaluation scores will be compiled and calculated by the Director of Player Development and Assessment.

Game Play Process

  1. Each player will be assigned a pinnie color and number.
  2. Game play shall consist of 3v3 and 5v5. Shift length will be equal for all players.
  3. After one minute of play, at the sound of the buzzer or whistle the players will abandon the ring and leave the ice. The next line will rotate onto the ice. Players will be reorganized throughout the scrimmage to prevent the same players from playing together on every shift.
  4. Fluid line changes on cue will be outlined to the players prior to the start of the game. (Note: Parent/Coach Volunteers on the bench are not permitted to instruct or coach any player through the process)
  5. Evaluators are scoring on three areas:
  • Ring Skills/Play = Ring Movement, Receiving, Passing, Shooting.
  • Skating, Effort and Competitiveness = Aggressiveness vs. Trepidation, Team Play, Attitude, Ability.
  • Game Sense = Zone Awareness (Defensive/Offensive), Creating Advantages, Player Support, Marking, Transition, Communication.
  1. A score will be recorded for each player on each of the three skill categories as well as evaluator comments. The score will be based on each player’s skill as compared to other players on the ice. Athletes will be grouped with athletes of similar skill level.
  2. The player’s primary and secondary position preference will be identified for the evaluators for 5 on 5 play.

 DRAFT

  • The selected Head Coach and one Assistant Coach will attend the draft.
  • As per policy, the head coach and assistant coach must select their child when they are the highest remaining skater being selected.
  • Players tied in the ranking for the last protected/mandatory spot will be included in the protected players and the number of coach’s picks is reduced accordingly.
  • The next 6 players beyond the last mandatory pick are eligible to be a coach’s pick.
  • Players tied in the ranking at #6 will be included in the pick zone
  • For two team drafts, coach pick zone doubles to 12
  • In the event of two or more teams in the same division and level, the team who selects first is based upon the cumulative score of the head coach and assistant coach’s child’s score. The team with the lowest cumulative score will select first and the highest cumulative score will select last.
  • Upon completion of the draft the coaches will be asked to confirm they agree that the teams are equitable.
  • The Oversight committee will have final say on Team selection.
  • The coaches and Oversight Committee will sign off completing the draft process and Team selection. 

Mandatory Selections

As athletes move into the older divisions, athletes may move into “designated positions” e.g. center, defense, forward.  Coaches  may select players for positions and team composition in AA and U16+ while remaining within guidelines below.

For U16 and U19, the top 60% of players will be protected and the AA coach will be allowed to select the remaining 40%. Once the AA coach selections have been completed, the A coach will follow the same as mentioned above. The top 60% of players will be protected and the A coach will be allowed to select the remaining 40%. 

These selections will be attended and approved by the Oversight Committee in accordance with the SGRA Policies and Guidelines. Team size will be determined by the association based on balancing the number of players among the levels in each division accordingly prior to coach selection.

 

FOR ALL GOALIES (U12 to U19 Divisions)

  • At U10, players will not be evaluated as goalies.
  • For U12+, goalies will be assessed by a goaltender evaluator.
  • If a player is chosen to be a full time/part time goalie, they will be evaluated as a goalie during the 3 versus 3 (U14, U16, U19) and 5 versus 5 play (U12, U14, U16, U19).
  • The Division Directors and/or on-ice volunteer will ensure that each full-time goalie receives equal playing time. Where requested by part time goalies, she will be given opportunity to be evaluated as a goalie while attempting to give her a fair evaluation for her time playing out.
  • There will be several skills evaluated during these ice times and goalies will receive a score on each skill being evaluated. Evaluator comments will also be captured.

The skills evaluated will be:

  • Positioning/Mobility: hand stick placement, stance, angles, lateral movement, position in net to shooter, recovery.
  • Ring stopping Ability: reaction to shooter, low shots, high shots, dekes, and breakaways.
  • Ring handling: ring recovery, ring control, ring distribution selection, throwing, and fakes. 

 

AFFILIATION

Player affiliation allows a team to replace absent, sick, injured, or suspended players on a game by game basis. See SGRA and Ringette Alberta Affiliation policies. Potential and appropriate affiliates will be discussed upon completion of each team selection with each applicable Head Coach.


 

APPENDIX A:  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How will the athletes be assessed?

The Universal Athlete Assessment (UAA) is a series of five timed drills (four timed drills for U10), which will be used to place players into appropriate game play groups. A Ringette Alberta YouTube video details more about the UAA. The video details seven UAA drills; the five modified drills used are:

  • forward skating,
  • backward skating,
  • start and stop,
  • ring agility weave,
  • butterfly (U12 & U14 only)

A Ringette Alberta YouTube video shows UAA drills: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEW0SsOjDCw

Game play assessment is cumulative and is based on a 5-point scale. Players are evaluated on:

  • Ring Skills = Ring Movement, Receiving, Passing, Shooting
  • Skating, Effort and Competitiveness = Aggressiveness vs. Trepidation, Team Play, Attitude, Ability.
  • Game Sense = Zone Awareness (defensive/offensive), Creating advantages, Player Support, Marking, Transition, Communication.

Will my daughter always be in the same evaluation group?

Not necessarily. The UAA will determine the starting point for game play evaluation. After each ice time, players may be regrouped based on their evaluation scores (and applicable weightings) for subsequent ice times.

How many ice times are in the evaluation process?

  • 1 practice UAA session (no evaluations take place) *U10 to U14 only
  • 1 UAA testing day *U10 to U14 only
  • Up to 3 ice times for game play (3v3, 5v5) *all divisions

When will I know my daughter’s first ice time?

The first week’s Evaluation Schedule is now posted on the SGRA Website. You will be contacted by your Division Director about which sessions your daughter is required to attend.  Check the website and your email frequently for continuous updates to schedules.

When will I know who my daughter’s coach will be?

Volunteer coaches are a valuable component of SGRA. We value their time, energy, and commitment. We work closely with the Director of Coaching Development and Assessment throughout the evaluation process to assign coaches to the appropriate teams as quickly as possible. Once all evaluation scores have been compiled, coaches will be selected and notified.  


 

 

APPENDIX B - UAA Skills Rink Diagram

 Appendix B


 

APPENDIX C: Weighting of Grading Scores by Age Division

 

 

U10

U12

U14

U16

U19

UAA SKILLS SESSION

30%

30%

25%

N/A

N/A

GAME PLAY SESSIONS

70%

70%

75%

100%

100%

 


 

APPENDIX D:  Illness and Injuries During Evaluations

If a player is injured or ill and cannot attend 1 or more of their evaluation ice times, the following information is required for consideration by the Oversight Committee:

  • Medical Note from a physician or healthcare professional, indicating nature of injury/illness and expected time frame until return. 
  • Written Explanation from parent or athlete
  • Last level played and evaluation results (if available) from 2016-2017 season
  • Previous coach feedback provided to Director of Coaching Development and Assessment (if available)

The Oversight Committee will review this information on a case by case basis.  Once all evaluations for that division are completed, the Oversight Committee will make a decision as to team placement. 

WANT TO
GET IN THE GAME?

Tell your Team Manager to turn
RAMP Team on!

RAMP Ads

Do you want to reach thousands of users across hundreds of Minor Sports Association websites? Advertising with RAMP has never been easier! Get in touch with us now to discuss your needs.